Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Thrift shopping queen

I bear this title with honor, thrift shopping queen! It has not always been a proud title. I mean growing up we didn't often go to thrift stores but didn't always get new things either. Hand me downs were the thing for our family. I was never embarrassed about it or ashamed, so it was always exciting to get bags from our grama's church garage sales! We did get to buy new things for the beginning of the school year.
Now as I have my own children and we are trying to survive on one income (teachers don't make much), I have to be resourceful. I realized how crazy fast kids grow and how expensive clothes is even from Walmart. I discovered shopping at thrift stores to be able to keep up with the demand of three growing kids. You learn how to look and find treasures!
My advice is search for local thrift stores and support them. The next best thing is Savers, find one and check it out. My favorite place to shop! The only thing I do tend to buy new for the kids is underwear, socks, and shoes. I always find nice things, it just takes time and energy. I say time because you have to search high and low. And energy because even if it is missing a button or stained, I get it. I even purchased a huge maxi skirt for myself and resized it, even had enough to make a skirt for Karissa! 
Here is some pictures of how much I can get on a tight budget!
I spent $14 on all this:
for me; a pair of shoes, a dress, and two silk blouses
for hubby; a cardigan and short sleeve button up
for Lukrik; a pair of shorts, two polo shirts, and two short sleeve button ups
for Karissa; two pairs of shorts 
I spent $8 on all this:
for me; a dress
for hubby; a casual t-shirt
for Karissa; four dresses, two pairs of shorts, and four tops
I spent $16 on all this:
for Lukrik; a pair of shorts and short sleeve button up
for Karissa; one dress, two skirts, seven onesies, and a pink curtain

So as you can see thrift shopping works for us and I love it!!! :) <3




  

1 comment:

  1. I love this post and savers rocks! I miss abq because of all the great stores.

    ReplyDelete